Early Career Researcher Research Fund
Call for proposals – October 2020
About this call
The Supergen Offshore Renewable Energy Hub is inviting applications for the Early Career Researcher (ECR) Research Fund. The fund is designed to be a flexible research fund for ECRs to support small activities that either supports and develops your existing research activities, or develops your skills further. Research activities should be aligned with the objectives of the Supergen ORE Hub, further details of which can be found on our Area Strategy page. Applications should be directed at offshore wind, wave or tidal energy research. Multi-disciplinary or multi-sectoral proposals are welcomed.
The maximum award size will be £5,000 (direct costs only) and funded at 80% FEC by the Supergen ORE Hub. In this second round, we are seeking to make up to 10 awards.
The primary objective is to help individuals develop as Early Career Researchers. The secondary objective is to help to develop the science, engineering and technology to deliver Offshore Renewable Energy.
There will be multiple calls to the ECR Research Fund throughout the lifetime of the Supergen ORE Hub. It is anticipated that there will be further calls in spring and autumn 2021, but this will be guided by demand and available funds.
The deadline for submission of applications to the current call of the ECR Research Fund is noon on Friday 9th October 2020.
All applications will be peer reviewed with the process coordinated by the scheme coordinator, Prof. Richard Willden (University of Oxford), with support from Supergen ORE Hub ECR activity co-lead Prof. Byron Byrne (University of Oxford). The scheme coordinator will coordinate the peer review and ranking process leading to funding decisions. Funding decisions will be made within 3 weeks of the proposal deadline with award announcements made on or before Friday 30th October 2020.
For successful applicants the proposed activity must start within 3 months of the award announcements and be completed within 9 months of commencement.
Eligibility for this fund is limited to Early Career Researchers who are either:
- Early Career Academic Staff (less than 3 years from first academic appointment),
- Post-Doctoral Research Assistants.
Whilst the wider Hub ECR network includes and welcomes final year PhD students, support for PhD student research activities should be delivered by host institutions or Centres of Doctoral Training (CDTs) as applicable, and hence PhD students are not eligible to apply to this ECR Research Fund.
- ECRs should be employed by an organisation that is eligible to receive EPSRC funding. A list of organisations eligible to apply to EPSRC is provided at: https://www.ukri.org/funding/how-to-apply/eligibility/
- The proposed activity must not extend beyond the ECRs current employment (unless the requested funding does itself extend that employment).
- There will be multiple rounds of ECR Research Funding and only in exceptional circumstances will ECR applicants receive more than one award.
- Joint applications from a maximum of two ECRs are welcomed where the inclusion of more than one ECR is justified with respect to the scheme objectives and the assessment criteria outlined below. The award limit will be raised in accordance with the number of ECRs making the joint application. A joint application should not include a non-ECR as an applicant.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
One of the objectives of the Supergen ORE Hub is to promote Equality, Diversity and Inclusivity in everything that it does and across the Offshore Renewable Energy industry. Applications are encouraged from all, particularly from under-represented groups, and those returning from career breaks or having followed unusual career paths.
Where required, and at the discretion of the scheme coordinator, the eligibility criteria may be interpreted flexibly to accommodate those who have followed unusual paths. If you are in any doubt as to your eligibility for this scheme you should contact the scheme coordinator (details provided below) well in advance of submitting your application.
Submission of Applications